Gå til innhold

The English Thread

AnonymBruker

Anbefalte innlegg

Haha, yeah, I keep insisting on saying fall instead of autumn for some reason (easier to pronounce anyway) and believe me, they're letting me know exactly how wrong it is ;)

One year to go - it'll fly, I promise :) What are you studying?

Oh, Edinburgh is lovely, and it's only like 45 minutes away by train, so needless to say, I'm there quite a lot ;) If it fits your schedule, you should try and come over for the Fringe in August - it's the biggest theatre festival in Europe, loads of cool stuff going on all over town :)

My main subject is Theatre Studies, which is what I'll do for honours (third and fourth year), but as I'm still only first year (well, going on second now) I'm required to do two extra subjects within the College of Arts. This year I did English Literature (yay!) and English Language (snore!), and I'll continue Eng.lit next year.

Basically my degree will be in directing and dramaturgy, and since I'm a workoholic of the worst kind, I'll try and make it as a playwright on the side. Ambitious? Oh, aye! ;)

Endret av Mermaid Blues
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Fortsetter under...

That sounds really exciting, have you ever written a complete play?

I'm a teacher trainee, elementary 5-10, and I'm on my second year now. My main subjects are English and Norwegian, but I'm thinking about adding social studies or religion on top. I would probably love the English Language subject, I love learning about languages and how they've evolved and changed over the years.

I'll try to convince my mum that we should travel in August :D

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It's absolutely a fascinating subject, but the workload started piling up this semester, and I have to admit to skiving off a few more lectures than I'm proud of :sjenert: So after a while, it was all about scraping a pass, really. But I found the Old English and Middle English parts quite fascinating. Chaucer's a great laugh anyway.

Can imagine it would fit your degree perfectly, though :) And I think both social science and religion sounds interesting, tough choice, that! :)

I'm finishing up my first full-length play these days, actually, or at least getting together a temporary final draft so I can go into workshops with it. It's been read by a few local playwrights and actors, and the response has been overwhelming. Hopefully a workshop will give me the edge and confidence I need to start pitching it over the summer, there are loads of new-writing theatre companies in the UK, so I'll just have to give it a go :) Also, I'm working on three more plays currently, one of which is close to done, and I've got ideas for at least another three or four after that.

I went to a few shows at the Fringe last year, and it was wicked - the whole town is just bursting with energy, street performers everywhere and packed venues all around :) Can't wait for this year!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Wolfmoon

It's absolutely a fascinating subject, but the workload started piling up this semester, and I have to admit to skiving off a few more lectures than I'm proud of :sjenert: So after a while, it was all about scraping a pass, really. But I found the Old English and Middle English parts quite fascinating. Chaucer's a great laugh anyway.

Can imagine it would fit your degree perfectly, though :) And I think both social science and religion sounds interesting, tough choice, that! :)

I took History of the English Language a couple of years ago. I found the Old and Middle English really facinating, until I had to explain the differences, compare them to modern English and explain why things happend. I was quite happy just reading Old English and finding all the "Norwegian" words :laugh:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Had an exam in Utopian Literature last week, and well, I must admit I find the subject quite boring. I can't wait to start writing, though I still haven't made up my mind in regards to a topic.

Mvh Yvonne :heiajente:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I spent 6 months in York aswell, it was amazing.

I have to ask, are we supposed to write correct English, or can we write the way we normally do when chatting with friends?

Endret av Mamma1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

As long as it doesn't get too cryptic, you can write the way you want I guess.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I'm throwing myself into this discussion about... well I'm not sure, haven't read it all, but I could really need to pick up on my english writing abilities. Although I speak english on a regular basis - every day actually - my writing nowadays only consist of random short stories and poetry and those are few and far between... you know, with being a student and having a part time job, my free time is spent with friends downing a beer or two. Or three. And so on.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I'm throwing myself into this discussion about... well I'm not sure, haven't read it all, but I could really need to pick up on my english writing abilities. Although I speak english on a regular basis - every day actually - my writing nowadays only consist of random short stories and poetry and those are few and far between... you know, with being a student and having a part time job, my free time is spent with friends downing a beer or two. Or three. And so on.

Do you live in an English speaking country? :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Do you live in an English speaking country? :)

No (I wish!), my uncle is british and he and my aunt are kind of my landlords. He doesn't really speak norwegian at all, despite the fact that he's lived here for nearly twenty years.

Besides, I've got friends from foreign countries who prefer english instead of norwegian (as of now, they're still in the process of learning).

And I've gone and fallen for one of these guys and thus; english it is!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't mean to be rude, but how is it possible to live nearly twenty years in a country without learning the language?

Please tell more about the guy you've fallen for? :hoppe:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

I lived in England a few months, and I am sure I left behind my soul mate there.. Still upsets me.

He was from around Derby and we dated until I had to leave England. Sadest day of my life.. Haven't seen him in six years.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

What is your favourite word within the English language, everyone?

I don't know why, but I love the sound of the word ''petrify'' :vetikke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't mean to be rude, but how is it possible to live nearly twenty years in a country without learning the language?

Please tell more about the guy you've fallen for? :hoppe:

Hehe, it amazes alot of people. Thing is, he works at an english speaking company so I guess there hasn't been a pressing need for him to learn the norwegian language. Besides the fact that his mother-in-law only knows one english word, that is... (which is "hangover, by the way... my crazy granny). He knows how to communicate with her well enough.

Ah, well, he's a yummy one. And that's actually an understatement. But seriously, speaking about him in english feels kind of risky to me. Not that he'd ever visit KG (probably doesn't even know it exists), but there's still a chance that he'd might come across my lovesick ramblings by accident. A very slim chance. But yeah... :fnise:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

[1] Category widget

The difficulty with learning Norwegian in Norway is that everyone insists on talking English to you :fnise: I lived with a German friend last year who never got the chance to practise his Norwegian, since no one would use it then talking with him :snurt:

Endret av HedvigR
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Wolfmoon

I lived in England a few months, and I am sure I left behind my soul mate there.. Still upsets me.

He was from around Derby and we dated until I had to leave England. Sadest day of my life.. Haven't seen him in six years.

I know the feeling, I did the same thing, only my guy was Australian :gjeiper:

I still wonder how I will ever be able to hold down a serious relationship talk or talk dirty in Norwegian :klo: It just doesn't feel natural to me :fnise:

Endret av Wolfmoon
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I know the feeling, I did the same thing, only my guy was Australian :gjeiper:

I still wonder how I will ever be able to hold down a serious relationship talk or talk dirty in Norwegian :klo: It just doesn't feel natural to me :fnise:

It's the other way around for me, I'm going out with a guy from England now, and at times I find it really weird having to phrase myself in English when I speak to him :gjeiper:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I really miss England. I am planning to move back one day, and open a pub with a b&b.. someday..

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...