Gå til innhold

The English Thread

AnonymBruker

Anbefalte innlegg

No, the thread's spell checker. The apostrophe signals property instead of plurality.

I stand corrected.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Fortsetter under...

I don't really have a favorite word.

Which dialect does people here prefer? I think the Australian one is pretty cool.

I love Scottish, music to my ears :rodmer: I guess I mostly use RP when I talk myself, and I try to always use British spelling and words when writing, as it is important to be consistent when I write essays and assignments.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't really have a favorite word.

Which dialect does people here prefer? I think the Australian one is pretty cool.

Which dialect do people prefer.

I like the accent in Northern Ireland. It is quite charming:-)

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest PinkLeaf

I'm really fond of Australian, but I think Scottish is way sexier. :fnise: (Gerard Butler and Ewan McGregor :rodmer: ).

With regards to a favourite word, I (almost) always stop and snigger when I see the word catastrophe. Oddly enough in relation to the joke: If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur. :ler:

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

What is your favourite word within the English language, everyone?

Blossom :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Blossom :)

Oh God! For a minute there I thought you were talking about the TV-show.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

I'm really fond of Australian, but I think Scottish is way sexier. :fnise: (Gerard Butler and Ewan McGregor :rodmer: ).

I'm a bit obsessed with Ewan McGregor :rodmer::sjenert: He's yummy....

The only reason the new Star Wars movies are worth watching as well ;)

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Elihol

What is your favourite word within the English language, everyone?

Crucify. Don't ask me why... :vetikke:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

My favourite English words are "swagger", "bean". I prefer the sound of the Caribbean dialect of English.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I´ve lived in the US for quite a while now, on the East Coast. As far as different versions of English go, I am partial to the Caribbean, particularly Trinidad and Tobago, and Ireland. Beautiful!

I don´t have any favorite words, I do in other languages but those are usually words I like for their beauty, such as Italian words, and I can´t think of an English words that give me a similar sensation.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

And that of course should read "I can´t think of anY English words that give me a similar sensation."

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Which dialect do people prefer.

I like the accent in Northern Ireland. It is quite charming:-)

I've lived with an Ulsterman for 10 years. :nigo: I like how they pronounce words like eight, late and bait. However, I do not like the way they misconjugate verbs. "I should have went there" is just wrong.

Oh, and my favourite word is spam!

Endret av Meaty
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ah, you lucky thing! I'v got a few friends in Belfast, but sadly I don't get to talk to them very often. I love how they pronounce the letter H, well some of them anyway;-)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have several words I'm fond of, but I can't think of any of them right now :( I do like the word 'twat', despite of what it means :gjeiper:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

[1] Category widget

Gjest Wolfmoon

I really enjoy the word procrastination. It might have something to do with the meaning as well, but I really do like the sound of it :laugh:

It doesn't really work that well in norwegian :sukk:

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Can someone please tell me the difference between "somebody" and "anybody"? I know I can google it, but the point of this thread is to write and practise our English.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Somebody refers to a particular person, whilst anybody is more open. Have a look at the words some and any, and I think you will understand what I mean.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Can someone please tell me the difference between "somebody" and "anybody"? I know I can google it, but the point of this thread is to write and practise our English.

Somebody = noen

Anybody = hvem som helst

Kind of. I think.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...