Gå til innhold

The English Thread

AnonymBruker

Anbefalte innlegg

Somebody refers to a particular person, whilst anybody is more open. Have a look at the words some and any, and I think you will understand what I mean.

:helen: It's crystal clear now.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Fortsetter under...

Gjest Wolfmoon

Somebody refers to a particular person, whilst anybody is more open. Have a look at the words some and any, and I think you will understand what I mean.

But somebody does not have refer to a particular person. Used as a pronoun it can refer to an unspecified person. "Somebody has to do it", does not refer to a particular person.

Or have I misunderstood the meaning of your use of "particular" now?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

But somebody does not have refer to a particular person. Used as a pronoun it can refer to an unspecified person. "Somebody has to do it", does not refer to a particular person.

Or have I misunderstood the meaning of your use of "particular" now?

No, I don't think you have. You're correct when you say that somebody doesn't have to refer to a particular person. However I think it's still more specific than anybody.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Wolfmoon

No, I don't think you have. You're correct when you say that somebody doesn't have to refer to a particular person. However I think it's still more specific than anybody.

Yes, I think so too :)

(By the way, words like however is usually enclosed by commas in English, if I remember correctly :klo:)

Endret av Wolfmoon
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest PinkLeaf

The question of some or any is especially important when entertaining guests. It's considered way more hospitable and inviting to ask whether they would like "something to drink", rather than "anything". In that context, "anything" is almost more a phrase than a proper question.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

So what are your plans for the weekend then? I'll mostly stay inside to work on my exam... :tristbla: Think I'll go out soon to buy some sweets, going to need some motivation :fnise:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

So what are your plans for the weekend then? I'll mostly stay inside to work on my exam... :tristbla: Think I'll go out soon to buy some sweets, going to need some motivation :fnise:

I was supposed to cook dinner with some friends, but the hostess isn't feeling to well. I might work on my history exam, cause I've got nothing better to do. As for tomorrow, I don't know yet.

Endret av The Kitten
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest PinkLeaf

My plan is to do absolutely nothing tonight. :fnise: I'm just going to hit the couch hard and stay there until bedtime. I've had a really stressful couple of weeks, so any free time is highly appreciated. I'm hoping my boyfriend will take care of dinner and chores - if only just for today. :-)

Good luck on your exams and papers, fingers crossed for you. :-) Luckily, my last exam was on the 10th, so things will hopefully calm down soon. Maybe I can stop having postcolonial literature terms spinning around in my head eventually. :sjenert::fnise:

(I digress: It feels so weird and confusing to write in Norwegian when posting smileys, when the rest of my post is in English. :ler:)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest PinkLeaf

Oh wow, I'm so sorry! My phone froze, so I had to switch it off and on again. I thought it didn't even post once. :-\

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Haha, it happens to the best ;)

Hmm, what sort of snacks should I buy... Right now I'm thinking crisps. I lovelovelove sourcream&onion :rodmer:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Practice = noun = My GP's practice is in Temple Street

Practise = verb = to perform an action repeatedly in order to improve skill level i.a.

Well, except if you're in the States. I practice things and talk about a practice. :)

I love American English. I try to sound as American as I can, although I've been heavily influenced by German as well after living in a German-speaking country for a while.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Well, except if you're in the States. I practice things and talk about a practice. :)

I love American English. I try to sound as American as I can, although I've been heavily influenced by German as well after living in a German-speaking country for a while.

Where did you live? Can you speak much German?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

[1] Category widget

I don't really want to go into details, because I don't want anyone to recognize me :) But yeah, I speak German, though I've probably forgotten a lot of it now. I lived there for a few years and used the language every day, so I eventually thought (and sometimes even dreamt) in German.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't really want to go into details, because I don't want anyone to recognize me :) But yeah, I speak German, though I've probably forgotten a lot of it now. I lived there for a few years and used the language every day, so I eventually thought (and sometimes even dreamt) in German.

Okay, I understand. :)

Did you know that when you dream and think in a language, it's a sign that you're becoming fluent in it?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've had an exam today, so tonight I'm going out to celebrate a friends birthday :) Will be fun!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I hope your exam went well. :)

Enjoy the birthday celebration. :skaal:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...