Gå til innhold

Divorce with a Norwegian, child, house


Fremhevede innlegg

Skrevet

I'm in a very difficult situation and I don't know what to do anymore. I'll try to describe in short.

I'm not Norwegian but I've been living here since 2018.
I got married in Norway in 2022 to a Norwegian citizen. Prior to that we had a long distance relationship from 2012, the relationship was eventually registered here.
In 2021 they took a loan and bought a house on their name. I was not on the buy contract either, just had a registered address there in folkeregisteret.
In 2023 we got a child together.
In 2024 out of the blue separation was announced to me and I was forced out of the house. Locks were changed, I was basically kicked out of shared home and out of my child's life.
I was not able to do anything at all because of poor state and not knowing the law.
Because of my study rights, I ended up renting a student dorm from the university, where I've been living for a year now because I don't have a full time job and it's difficult to find any other place.
These days the ex makes it difficult to see my child. The lawyer is very hesitant about both the case with my child and the economical part about the house or what should be done next. I requested making a court case but I don't get any reply. I can't afford other lawyer either.
On the opposite, it's my ex that applied for a court case and claims that I'm mental and I'm not cut to be a father, so I'm facing a meeting with a court psychologist and court at the end of the year.
Now, apparently the divorce papers were already sent by my ex since we've been separated for a year and my lawyer doesn't even answer if I can just sign them or if it has any impact if we're gonna proceed about the economical matter about the house and if I should wait.
My financial situation is very unstable and NAV refuses to help as well, while she's already receiving forlenget barnetrygd just because I was cut out of the picture. I'm not paying the child support yet because I don't have abilities yet, as my whole living and work situation is uneasy.
I fear that I'm on a very bad path to losing everything and don't know what to do anymore and that the time is running out.

Please, I appreciate any suggestions.
 

Anonymkode: ef727...6de

  • Hjerte 3
Videoannonse
Annonse
Skrevet

I don't really have any concrete suggestions, other than to seek better legal help. See if either of these organizations can help you: https://foreninger.uio.no/jussbuss/ or https://gratisrettshjelp.no/. 

If you don't own the house, you probably don't have any rights in that area. In terms of the child, as a parent, you do have rights, but you also have obligations. Again, seek legal council. 

Anonymkode: 1681b...e48

  • Hjerte 1
Skrevet

I hope someone has any good advice. I just wanted to send you a hug, and say I feel sorry for your situation. 🩵

Skrevet

You just have to forget about the house unless you can prove that you have paid for it, your ex bought the house before you got married and even if the house was bought after you got married it's not likely that you would get any money if you can't prove that you have paid for it.

Regarding the child it sounds like you have to get another lawyer, or there is something missing from the story here about your mental health and behaviour.

Anonymkode: 59266...79d

  • Liker 2
  • Nyttig 4
Skrevet

In short: You can of course forget about gaining anything economically from her property. That belongs to her, and unless you can document that you have contributed substantially to the property (for instance paid x hundreds of thousand kr. for a full bathroom renovation) you have no claim in this whatsoever. Usual expenses like paying partly for rent, insurance, simple maintenance etc does not grant you any rights.

As for the situation with your child, that is more complicated. Your ex probably has been – or will be – granted main custody of the child. She lives under stable conditions, you do not. This means that she will be eligible for child support from you.

I take it that you are a citizen from a country that is not a part of the EU/EØS. You are a student at the moment, your marriage ended after about three years (longer og shorter than three years is of great importance), and you don't really have the funds to support life in Norway. You do not state what kind of visa/residency permit you are currently holding, but if I were you, I would be more worried about your immigration status than anything else...

 

Best advice is in the previous post: seek legal assistance from jussbuss.

Anonymkode: c3984...8c1

  • Liker 4
  • Nyttig 4
Skrevet

I'm sorry for your situation, but I don't think the separation was "out of the blue". Many men says this, but even if the woman have been very direct over a longer time, the men just think it is "hysteria" and it will just pass by. Maybe you are one of the very few that this is not true for, but writing this sentence makes many think that this is very likely your own fault.

The reason: you don't show any self reflection here. You don't seem to understand your wifes situastion at all.

She just went crazy and kicked you out? Knowing each other since 2012, this is very weird. Often the problem starts when a child is involved, and the father doesn't seem to understand much, and the woman has many reason to belive that the man is not able at all to be alone with the child. She kickes the man out because se is afraid of her childs life. 

Anonymkode: ac861...133

  • Liker 1
  • Nyttig 2
Skrevet
25 minutter siden, AnonymBruker said:

In short: You can of course forget about gaining anything economically from her property. That belongs to her, and unless you can document that you have contributed substantially to the property (for instance paid x hundreds of thousand kr. for a full bathroom renovation) you have no claim in this whatsoever. Usual expenses like paying partly for rent, insurance, simple maintenance etc does not grant you any rights.

As for the situation with your child, that is more complicated. Your ex probably has been – or will be – granted main custody of the child. She lives under stable conditions, you do not. This means that she will be eligible for child support from you.

I take it that you are a citizen from a country that is not a part of the EU/EØS. You are a student at the moment, your marriage ended after about three years (longer og shorter than three years is of great importance), and you don't really have the funds to support life in Norway. You do not state what kind of visa/residency permit you are currently holding, but if I were you, I would be more worried about your immigration status than anything else...

 

Best advice is in the previous post: seek legal assistance from jussbuss.

Anonymkode: c3984...8c1

 
We had a shared bank account with wedding money that we received. We agreed on using a lot of it on renovation of the house, which was in my hands, so I was the one renting a company and in addition doing a lot of work on the house myself. I don't know if that counts..

I'm an EU citizen and I've had continuous stay since 2018, still the economy part is one of my concerns, as I feel I don't have much rights here.

Thank you, I will contact jussbuss.

Skrevet

Tråden er ryddet for gjengivelse av eksternt innhold.

Matas, mod.

Skrevet
urgent skrev (På 14.10.2025 den 13.22):

 
We had a shared bank account with wedding money that we received. We agreed on using a lot of it on renovation of the house, which was in my hands, so I was the one renting a company and in addition doing a lot of work on the house myself. I don't know if that counts..

I'm an EU citizen and I've had continuous stay since 2018, still the economy part is one of my concerns, as I feel I don't have much rights here.

Thank you, I will contact jussbuss.

You should be able to get back the money that you received as wedding gifts and used on house renovations.. At least theoretically.

Anonymkode: 00c9a...20a

Skrevet
urgent skrev (På 14.10.2025 den 13.22):

 
We had a shared bank account with wedding money that we received. We agreed on using a lot of it on renovation of the house, which was in my hands, so I was the one renting a company and in addition doing a lot of work on the house myself. I don't know if that counts..

I'm an EU citizen and I've had continuous stay since 2018, still the economy part is one of my concerns, as I feel I don't have much rights here.

Thank you, I will contact jussbuss.

 

Sounds like your lawyer doesn't care much.

Do not sign the divorce papers yet. You may have the right to free legal assistance in family matters. Find a new lawyer and they will apply for you in order to obtain free legal aid. That means your lawyer's salary and court fees will be paid by state. You may have to pay a part of court fees out of pocket, but it won't be much. You'll need legal assistance for the case your ex has brought to court. Let your new lawyer look through divorce papers before you sign anything.

Read more here: https://advokat.no/free-legal-aid/

You also have the right to see your child unless there are genuine concerns for the child's welfare, such as abuse or risk of harm. I guess your ex will try to get your rights revoked due to concerns for the child's welfare and that is why you'll need a good lawyer. Ususally we don't do countersuits in Norway in family cases. You may push through, but the court will not look favorably at you, so maybe deal with one case at a time and let your lawyer bring up all of your demands.

As for the property, any assets brought to the marriage belong to the spouse who acquired the asset before marriage. Means the house belongs to your ex. You may seek a refund for substancial contributions from you in form of money, materials and work that have increased the property value. Let your lawyer take care of that.

A spouse has no right to deny the other spouse access to shared home (provided it's the only home they share) unless there is violence or other grave circumstances present. With other words, your wife didn't have the right to throw you out, but now it's done so let it go. However, it's important that your lawyer makes the court aware of your ex's behavior as she basically made you homeless and cut you off from your child in one go.

Also, very important, find a job asap. Doesn't matter what kind of job, just find one that brings a steady income, and rent an apartment. You will have to prove that you can offer a stable environment for your child that covers basic needs. A student dorm doesn't qualify.

When meeting with the court psychologist, stay calm and focus on the child. Don't bring up any other issues with your ex, the psychologist's job is solely to evaluate you as a parent and if you express too much emotions, it will count against you.

Hope this helps and good luck.

 

Anonymkode: 3c312...440

Skrevet
AnonymBruker skrev (På 14.10.2025 den 12.56):

I'm sorry for your situation, but I don't think the separation was "out of the blue". Many men says this, but even if the woman have been very direct over a longer time, the men just think it is "hysteria" and it will just pass by. Maybe you are one of the very few that this is not true for, but writing this sentence makes many think that this is very likely your own fault.

The reason: you don't show any self reflection here. You don't seem to understand your wifes situastion at all.

She just went crazy and kicked you out? Knowing each other since 2012, this is very weird. Often the problem starts when a child is involved, and the father doesn't seem to understand much, and the woman has many reason to belive that the man is not able at all to be alone with the child. She kickes the man out because se is afraid of her childs life. 

Anonymkode: ac861...133

You couldn't resist, huh?

I don't see the OP asking for marital advice or a character evaluation.

Anonymkode: 3c312...440

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Opprett en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
×
×
  • Opprett ny...